Monday, August 18, 2014

The Outdoor Office of Summer

It's a busy summer. While I'll be the first to admit that my artistic output has been a bit sluggish, it's because behind the scenes I'm moving my entire portfolio web site to a new hosting platform and I'm updating the email service that I use to send quarterly updates to my clients. Nonetheless, apart from these bureaucratic activities, I'm preparing for a couple of upcoming art shows, the Long's Park Art and Craft Festival as well as the Rittenhouse Square Fine Art Show in Philadelphia. And as part of an overall juggling act, I continue to work steadily at my oil painting. I'm slow. I don't have any new pieces to show just yet, but I have lots of ideas and I'm really excited about this new frontier. I hope to have some things to share with you later this fall. Stay tuned.

My Easel in Reeds Gap State Park
 
Maple in Reeds Gap State Park
 

In the meantime, when it all gets to be a bit too much, I enjoy retreating to my "outdoor office" of plein air painting. Last week, I ventured down to Reeds Gap State Park and I spent the whole day working outside on a couple of small landscapes along Honey Creek. Actually, it would be more accurate to say that I worked in Honey Creek. One of the advantages of using a metal easel (I have a Soltek easel), is that I can put it right in the water. It's a stiff test for my Gore Tex boots, but to really get the right vantage point, sometimes it's necessary. My trusty studio mascot and guard dog, Maple, joined me and we shared a beautiful summer day together. Shown here are a couple of photos from the outing. You'll see these completed landscapes on my portfolio site soon.