Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Sunset on Winter?

It's finally April, and could it also be the end of winter? I was in Washington, DC this past weekend during the height of the cherry blossom festival, but because of our unseasonably spring to this point, there were no blossoms as yet. But the weather is slowly warming up, and I'm looking forward to getting out and doing more painting in the field.

February, Aflame original oil painting
"February, Aflame"
8" x 16" original oil on linen.

To celebrate the end of the winter season, I'd like to share with you a recent landscape, "February, Aflame." While the bitter cold wears me down by this point in the year, I never get tired of the clear atmosphere and beautiful colors found in winter skies. I caught this view on the edge of State College, Pennsylvania last month. You just don't see this type of rich, indigo sky during the hazy, humid days of summer, and I thought that this piece was a fitting tribute to the conclusion of winter this year. Enjoy!