Thursday, April 24, 2014

Illumination

"Illumination" 12 x 18 oil on linen
Sold, private collection.

There are many scenic treasures in Pennsylvania's Pocono Mountains area, and one of them is definitely Hickory Run State Park. This sprawling park covers almost 16,000 acres, and within it you'll find a variety of scenery from the National Natural Landmark Boulder Field to gorgeous, tranquil streams like Sand Spring Run, shown here.

This recent oil landscape painting captures the park in early autumn. I discovered this view along the park's Shades of Death hiking trail, which is named in tribute to the rough, hilly terrain that early settlers encountered when they first came to this area. I love that name, and while I was sorely tempted to use it on this piece, I knew it would be a little heavy-handed. So I chose a title that symbolizes the opposite sentiment, "Illumination." This piece recently found a home with a local collector.