Saturday, June 13, 2020

Staycation 2020


Above, Work-in-progress: Plein air painting in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park along the Middle Prong River.

With my outdoor art shows cancelled for the foreseeable future, I'm turning my artistic focus to inspiration close to home for this summer.

It's Staycation 2020, and I'm pretty good with it because ever since moving to Knoxville, Tennessee two years ago, I've had very little time to explore our area due to major life events and myriad tasks associated with resettling after a cross-country move. The pandemic has put a pause on my usual work and life routines, and that may be an OK thing.

This upheaval has pushed me to develop new ways of doing things. Just last week, I wrapped up my first online tour of my painting studio in Knoxville, Tennessee as part of the Rittenhouse Square Fine Art Show Virtual Edition. My next virtual art show will be a live studio show with my new paintings on Thursday, July 9 at 8pm EST. Then I'll partner with the Rehoboth Art League in August, later this summer.

Throughout this summer, although I won't be traveling to my usual outdoor art exhibitions, I'm looking forward to delving into east Tennessee's state parks, history and culture through my artwork. I hope to have my outdoor art shows back in 2021, but until then I'll share my artwork with you "virtually" each week, beginning with this new addition to my Great Smoky Mountains plein air series, shown below.

Great Smoky Mountains, No. 6 - Balance
Great Smoky Mountains No. 6 - Balance