Monday, October 26, 2020

20 First Dates: Study, Bear Bend

 

Study, Bear Bend

Study, Bear Bend
11 x 14 inch oil on panel

As I near the conclusion of my "20 First Dates" series, it's only fitting that your next date, Study, Bear Bend brought me a moment of unexpected magic. I ventured up to the Great Smoky Mountains to capture the peak fall foliage this past weekend and while painting this piece, three bears wandered into the middle of the scene along the opposite stream bank.

I'm such a city bumpkin that my first thought was, "Oh, for Pete's sakes, whose dog is off-leash?"

It was only after a moment that I realized, "Wait, that's a bear!" And then two more trailed along shortly afterward. It took two-and-a-half years of visiting the park, but I finally had my moment of Bear Zen. I was so excited that I finished my painting session floating on a cloud of giddiness.

My field easel in the Great Smoky Mountains

The painting in progress. There is nothing better than an
outdoor office in the Great Smoky Mountains!

 

Framed view of Study, Bear Bend
Framed view of Study, Bear Bend